Article at a Glance:
- Dietary supplements are the easiest way to get a daily dose of functional mushrooms.
- Functional mushroom supplements include powders, gummies, tinctures, and capsules.
- Pairing functional mushrooms with daily activities and taking them consistently can enhance their action and benefits.
- Fungies® Functional Mushroom Gummies are a high-quality supplement that tastes great and are easy to implement into your daily life.
Functional mushrooms have been trending in the wellness world for a while, but Lion's Mane, Reishi, Cordyceps, and other magnificent mushroom species — and their benefits — are no passing fad. Functional mushrooms have been used for thousands of years in Eastern cultures for medicinal purposes and the general well-being of the mind, body, and spirit.
You may have heard functional mushrooms can help with energy levels, sleep, focus, and more. If you’re curious about using functional mushrooms to support daily health and long-term wellness, we have some tips to help you get started.
The Best Way to Take Functional Mushrooms
While functional mushrooms can be consumed in food and drink, not all have a pleasant taste or texture, and many species are tough to find. You may not find functional mushroom species alongside the button and portobello mushrooms in your local grocery store. Instead, functional mushroom supplements make it convenient to get your daily fix of fungi. They come in several forms, including powders, gummies, tinctures, and capsules.
The best functional mushroom supplement for you is the one you'll take regularly. After all, the effects of functional mushrooms will be most noticeable when you routinely consume them. Functional mushroom gummies are a great choice if you're looking for a mess-free supplement that requires no prep work or cooking and can be taken on the go.
3 Tips for Integrating Functional Mushrooms Into Your Day
Here are three tips to easily integrate functional mushrooms into your daily life:
1. Start with a High-Quality Supplement
There are two parts to a mushroom’s structure: the mycelium and the fruiting body. The mycelium is essentially the root system of a mushroom, and the fruiting body includes the stems and mushroom caps.
Although both contain bioactive compounds or substances linked to health benefits, they are most concentrated in the fruiting body. Look for a functional mushroom supplement made from the fruiting body for maximum potency and benefit.
2. Pair Functional Mushrooms with Daily Activities
All functional mushrooms are adaptogens, which can support how your body handles stress, but each species offers unique benefits. For example, studies have found supplementing with Cordyceps can have an energizing effect, while Reishi promotes rest, relaxation, and sound sleep.
Consider the parts of your day where you could use extra support and time for your functional mushroom supplements. If you could use some extra energy to avoid an afternoon slump or help you power through a workout, taking a Cordyceps supplement as part of your morning routine may help. Lion's Mane is also a good choice to take early in the day since it's linked to cognitive benefits like improved focus and memory.
Reishi is an excellent addition to an evening bedtime routine to help turn your brain off and prepare for a restorative night's sleep. Reishi's relaxing effect also pairs well with meditation and can be used to calm your mind and body to enhance your practice.
3. Take Functional Mushroom Supplements Consistently
Like other dietary supplements, functional mushrooms work best when taken regularly. Some people notice changes in how they feel or sleep within a few days, but most people need at least two weeks or one month of daily supplementation to notice the benefits.
Try timing your functional mushrooms with another daily habit, such as taking a multivitamin or sipping an evening cup of tea, to help you remember to take them. Setting a reminder on your phone and keeping your supplements where you can see them can also help you stick to your routine.
Daily Functional Mushroom Serving
Functional mushrooms can be used to support 24/7 well-being. Supplements make it easy to incorporate functional mushrooms into your daily wellness routine.
Our functional mushroom gummies are made with pure mushroom extracts sourced from fruiting bodies and the whole plant, which provide the equivalent of 500mg of functional mushroom per serving.
- Bing-Ji Ma, Jin-Wen Shen, Hai-You Yu, Yuan Ruan, Ting-Ting Wu & Xu Zhao. Mycology, 2010;1:2, 92-98. doi: 10.1080/21501201003735556.
- Geng P, Siu KC, Wang Z, Wu JY. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:9648496. doi: 10.1155/2017/9648496.
- Liao LY, He YF, Li L, Meng H, Dong YM, Yi F, Xiao PG. Chin Med. 2018;13:57. doi: 10.1186/s13020-018-0214-9.
- Mori K, Inatomi S, Ouchi K, Azumi Y, Tuchida T. Phytother Res. 2009;23(3):367-372. doi:10.1002/ptr.2634.