How to Choose the Right Mushroom Supplement
Article at a Glance:
- Once used in ancient traditional medicine, mushroom supplements have increased in popularity recently.
- Mushroom supplements are products made using extracts from functional mushrooms that are thought to have beneficial health properties.
- When choosing a mushroom supplement, look for products made with the fruiting body that can address your unique needs.
Functional mushrooms have been around for centuries as their therapeutic and medicinal properties have been used to treat various conditions throughout history. However, it wasn't until the past decade that functional mushrooms have once again been recognized for their potential healing properties. Currently, mushroom extract supplements have been sprouting up in every aisle in every store.
With the increasing number of mushroom supplements on the market, it's more important than ever to know what makes a good supplement and how to choose the right one. Let's explore what mushroom supplements are and how to choose the best one to reap all of their wonderful health benefits.
What Are Mushroom Supplements?
You've likely heard of popular mushroom varieties like portobello, button, shiitakes, and creminis, often used in cooking some of your favorite dishes. However, mushroom supplements are made with functional mushrooms, which are thought to have even more impressive properties than their culinary counterparts.
Mushroom supplements use extracts from functional mushrooms like Reishi, Lion's Mane, and Cordyceps. Functional mushrooms are powerful adaptogens, meaning they can help restore balance and promote health and wellness. You'll find various mushroom supplements, including powders, capsules, and gummies.
Choosing the Right Mushroom Supplement for You
It's important to know what to look for if you want mushroom supplements. The following are tips on choosing the best mushroom supplement for you:
Look for Products Made with Mushroom Fruiting Bodies
So what's the difference between a mushroom's mycelium and the fruiting body? The mycelium of a mushroom is where the mushroom roots are contained, whereas the stem, gills, and caps are all called the fruiting body.
Research has shown that the bulk of the active beneficial compounds found in functional mushrooms is highest in the fruiting body of the fungi. However, there are beneficial compounds in the mycelium of certain mushrooms, such as Cordyceps, which is why we use the whole plant (fruiting body and mycelium) in our Cordyceps gummies.
At Fungies®, we believe in making the highest-quality mushroom supplements. Therefore, our products are made with the mushroom's fruiting body to ensure you're reaping all the health benefits of our functional mushroom varieties.
Choose a Product Based on It's Benefit
Different species of functional mushrooms will have their unique benefits. If you have a specific need, a wide variety of single mushroom supplements are designed to target that need.
For example, if you’re feeling sluggish during workouts, you may consider a mushroom supplement that contains Cordyceps. Cordyceps may even help keep your body energized while exercising.
Do the increasing demands of balancing work, family, finances, and life generally make you feel stressed out? If so, you may consider a mushroom supplement that contains reishi. Reishi is one of the most commonly used functional mushrooms to help relieve stress. It produces a calming effect within your central nervous system associated with a balanced and relaxed state.
If you’re looking to protect healthy brain functioning as you age, you may want to look into a mushroom supplement containing Lion’s Mane. One 2019 review found that supplementation with Lion's Mane may benefit people looking to support cognitive functioning.
Select a Form That Works For Your Lifestyle
Mushroom supplements come in various forms, including capsules, tinctures, powders, and gummies. If you drink a protein shake or smoothie every day, a mushroom powder or tincture may be a quick and convenient way to get your daily supplement.
At Fungies, we think hard-to-swallow capsules, messy powders, and unpleasant-tasting tinctures are the past. Our all-natural, delicious, and vegan-friendly gummies will give you all the benefits of functional mushrooms in a convenient and easy-to-eat way.
Finding The Right Mushroom Supplement
Since there are so many products, finding the right mushroom supplement for you may feel overwhelming. When selecting a mushroom supplement, consider if the product is made with a fruiting body for increased potency and effectiveness.
Additionally, to address a specific need, look for a mushroom supplement that can target that need. Lastly, consider your lifestyle when selecting the mushroom supplement to take. Our mushroom gummies are convenient, mess-free, gluten-free, gelatin-free, and vegan-friendly. Did we mention that they’re delicious too?
- Valverde ME, Hernández-Pérez T, Paredes-López O. Int J Microbiol. 2015;2015:376387. doi: 10.1155/2015/376387.
- Bing-Ji Ma, Jin-Wen Shen, Hai-You Yu, Yuan Ruan, Ting-Ting Wu & Xu Zhao (2010). Mycology, 1:2, 92-98. doi: 10.1080/21501201003735556.
- Das G, Shin HS, Leyva-Gómez G, Prado-Audelo MLD, Cortes H, Singh YD, Panda MK, Mishra AP, Nigam M, Saklani S, Chaturi PK, Martorell M, Cruz-Martins N, Sharma V, Garg N, Sharma R, Patra JK. Cordyceps spp. Front Pharmacol. 2021 Feb 8;11:602364. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2020.602364.
- Hossen SMM, Islam MJ, Hossain MR, Barua A, Uddin MG, Emon NU. Biochem Biophys Rep. 2021;27:101062. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrep.2021.101062.
- Nkodo A. A Systematic Review of in-vivo Studies on Dietary Mushroom Supplementation for Cognitive Impairment (P14-021-19). Current Developments in Nutrition.2019,3(1). doi:10.1093/cdn/nzzz052.P14-021-19.