Article at a Glance:
- According to the latest CDC research, at least half the U.S. population is trying to lose weight.
- Lion’s Mane mushrooms have been studied for their role in fat metabolism, supporting healthy triglyceride levels, and weight control.
- Our Lion's Mane Gummies are a delicious and easy way to support your weight and wellness goals.
Are you frustrated with the fad diet cycle? If so, you may be looking for a helpful supplement to add to your weight loss regimen. Lion’s Mane mushrooms are a type of functional mushroom with health benefits that may also help you lose weight.
These beneficial mushrooms are the non-psychedelic kind that may play a role in fat metabolism and support healthy body triglyceride levels (a type of fat).
Let's dig into Lion's Mane mushroom's role in weight loss, what the research says, and how you can seamlessly add Lion's Mane to your daily routine.
How Does Lion’s Mane Mushroom Help You Lose Weight?
Losing weight is not easy. Sometimes it may feel like everything is working against you despite your best efforts. If you have ever felt like you're doing everything you should be doing but aren't seeing progress, you're not alone - I see this every day with my weight loss clients.
As a Registered Dietitian, I always seek functional supplements to support a healthy lifestyle.
Lion's Mane mushrooms have been studied more recently for their purported weight-loss properties. Here are some ways it may do this, including supporting studies.
Lion's Mane May Improve Fat Metabolism
In one study, mice given Lion’s Mane extract for 28 days experienced a positive influence over normal fat metabolism, normal triglyceride levels, and weight gain than the placebo group.
It's also important to note that these mice were fed a high-fat diet naturally high in calories. Despite this, the Lion's Mane group still had less weight gain than the placebo group.
The researchers said Lion's mane might support a healthy weight by modifying the expression of genes associated with fat metabolism. In other words - they may turn these genes on and off to help your body break down fat most effectively. Very neat!
Lion's Mane May Help You Better Manage Stress
Lion’s Mane mushroom is considered an adaptogen - a natural herbal substance that helps to relieve stress. This is excellent news if you are a stress eater because getting a better handle on your stress levels can help you lose weight.
In this way, Lion’s mane mushrooms can indirectly positively affect healthy weight control by enabling you to adapt to stressful situations. Less stress equals better eating habits and more energy to exercise, the other side of the weight loss equation.
Lion's Mane May Improve Mood and Well-Being
In addition to helping you combat stress, Lion’s Mane can promote good mood and overall well-being. What does this have to do with weight loss? Well, your mood can significantly affect your eating habits for better or worse.
One study tested 30 women taking Lion's Mane mushroom for over four weeks. After four weeks, the women who received Lion's Mane-enhanced cookies reported a positive effect on mood compared to those who received the placebo.
Certain compounds in Lion's mane may help promote focus and blood flow, improving mood, lessening stress, and ultimately leading to better performance in your daily tasks.
If you struggle with cravings or mindless eating when you're feeling down, improving your mood can get you back on track with healthy habits. I always see this with my clients as we work through their mindset barriers holding them back from eating well - it works!
Lion's Mane May Improve Sleep
Getting quality sleep is a must for weight management. When you lack sleep or have trouble falling asleep, it can lead to fatigue, hormonal imbalances, and intense food cravings that are hard to ignore.
Alternatively, getting your sleep on track can help you feel in control of your food choices.
Some studies have shown Lion's Mane mushrooms positively affect the typical time it takes to fall asleep and the ability to stay asleep longer. Improving the duration and quality of your sleep can help support a healthy weight.
How to Use Lion’s Mane to Support a Healthy Weight
Because of all these studied benefits, Lion’s Mane may be one of the best mushroom supplements for supporting a healthy weight.
You’re probably wondering how to best include these spectacular mushrooms in your life. While Lion's mane supplements are available in many food, extract, and capsule forms, we prefer gummies since they are tasty, convenient, and mess-free.
Each gummy contains 500 milligrams of Lion's Mane per serving (standardized to contain 30% Beta-Glucans) and is gluten-free, gelatin-free, and vegan-friendly. Did we mention that they're delicious too?
So grab a bottle (or two) today and experience how Lion’s Mane mushroom can support your healthy weight and lifestyle goals.
- Products - Data Briefs - Number 313 - July 2018. Published 2019. (Link)
- Kazuyuki H, Yasuyuki K, Nao S, Keishi H, Toshiyuki M, Kenji S, Hitoshi S & Michio K (2010) Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, 74:7, 1447-1451. doi: 10.1271/bbb.100130
- Liao LY, He YF, Li L, Meng H, Dong YM, Yi F, Xiao PG. Chin Med. 2018 Nov 16;13:57. doi: 10.1186/s13020-018-0214-9.
- Nagano M, Shimizu K, Kondo R, Hayashi C, Sato D, Kitagawa K, Ohnuki K. Biomed Res. 2010 Aug;31(4):231-7. doi: 10.2220/biomedres.31.231.
- Vauzour D. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2012;2012:914273. doi: 10.1155/2012/914273. Epub 2012 Jun 3. PMID: 22701758; PMCID: PMC3372091.
- Stangl D, Thuret S. Genes Nutr. 2009 Dec;4(4):271-82. doi: 10.1007/s12263-009-0134-5. Epub 2009 Aug 15. PMID: 19685256; PMCID: PMC2775886.
- Okamura H, Anno N, Tsuda A, Inokuchi T, Uchimura N, Inanaga K. Personalized Medicine Universe. 2015;4:76-78. doi:10.1016/j.pmu.2015.03.006
- Furuta S, Kuwahara R, Hiraki E, Ohnuki K, Yasuo S, Shimizu K. Biomed Res. 2016;37(4):227-32. doi: 10.2220/biomedres.37.227. PMID: 27544998.